Samuel Taylor Coleridge 1772-1834
September and October’s poetry selection introduced us to William Blake and William Wordsworth. The poem of the month for November is Kubla Khan by Samuel Taylor Coleridge. You’ll find this on page 24 of Classic Poetry. Did you know that Coleridge was friends with Wordsworth? Coleridge’s famous poem The Rime of the Ancient Mariner was composed while taking walks with his fellow poet. Listen to a reading of Kubla Khan here and maybe follow along with your book!
For younger students, you may find this book useful, Poetry for Young People – Samuel Taylor Coleridge. This has a good author bio, great illustrations and a nice anthology of Coleridge’s poetry.
Trimester 1 Fine Arts Focus Wrap Up
Online and print resources for the artists we’ve met:
- Rembrandt – great bio and collection of his works
- Rembrandt – another good resource
- Rembrandt by Xavier Niz
- Rembrandt (Art for Children) by Ernest Lloyd Raboff
- Linnaeus (lots of info and will appeal to older students with an interest in science)
- Linnaeus – article and pictures
- Audubon – good bio and much more
- Audubon – nice read for Primary and up
- Audubon – sumptuously illustrated book on the artist and uses his own quotes and thoughts
- Audubon – for LMS readers and up, this title is also on the Novel Adventures Reading list!
If you’ve wondered what Vivaldi your student has heard in the classroom, we’re using this CD, Vivaldi for Valentines, across the levels. Read a bio of Vivaldi here and also enjoy listening to more of his music.
Let’s talk: Have you found a fine arts resource you and your students are excited and inspired by? Feel free to share in the comments or email us!
To leave a comment, click below the blog post where it says “No comments” (or “1 comment”, or whatever number of comments already exist.) You do not need a google account - under "Choose an identity" you can choose Name/URL to leave your name, or choose Anonymous.
SLO Classical Academy is not affiliated with any of the above mentioned businesses.