Wednesday, October 24, 2012

What's for Dinner?


Orecchiette with Sausage, Chard, and Parsnips
Everyday Food, Serves 4

I just tried this recipe and we all loved it. Well, okay, I made a few substitutions because I didn’t have parsnips, so I used carrots. And I like kale better than chard so I used that. But otherwise I followed this recipe and it was delicious, and I will definitely get some parsnips and make it again. I think this is one of those recipes you can easily switch around, by picking your root vegetable of choice + leafy green of choice + pasta shape of choice. This came together very quickly - I love simple, fast meals like this one for those busy weekday nights. I hope you will give it a try and leave a comment to let us know how you liked it!

Ingredients
Salt and pepper
¾ pound orecchiette
1 tablespoon olive oil
¾ pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
1 pound parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch rounds (halved if large)
1 bunch Swiss chard, tough stems and ribs removed, thinly sliced
½ cup grated Parmesan (2 ounces), plus more for serving

Directions
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions. Reserve 1 cup pasta water, then drain pasta and return to pot.

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add sausage and cook, breaking meat up with a wooden spoon, until browned, 3 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to pot. Add parsnips to skillet and saute until softened and browned, 5 minutes. Add chard and cook until wilted, 2 minutes. Transfer mixture to pot and toss. Add Parmesan and enough pasta water to create a light sauce that coats pasta; season with salt and pepper. Serve with additional Parmesan.


To leave a comment on the blog, click below the post where it says “No comments” (or “1 comment”, or whatever number of comments already exist.) You do not need a google account. Under "Choose an identity" you can choose Name/URL to leave your name, or choose Anonymous.

SLO Classical Academy is not affiliated with the above mentioned business.

No comments: