Wednesday, May 16, 2012

What's for Dinner?

Chicken in Plum Sauce and Super Slaw


My wonderful mother-in-law, Ginger, introduced me to chicken in plum sauce.  Steak in plum sauce is also delicious!  The sauce pictured below is the best brand as not all plum sauces are created equal.  I have only been able to find this particular brand locally at the San Luis Oriental Market on Monterey Street, but it's worth the extra trip.

 photo by Joy Newman

Chicken in Plum Sauce

Plum sauce
Chicken--I like to use tenders
skewers

Place chicken tenders and plum sauce in a resealable bag or bowl.  Stir to coat well and refrigerate--overnight is best.  Turn the chicken periodically.  When ready to cook, skewer the chicken and grill.  Super easy and delicious!


Super Slaw
Bon Appetit, serves 4-6

If you make this slaw, you will receive many compliments and people will follow you around until you give them the recipe.  It's a fact. At least, that's what I did until my friend, Janell, gave me the recipe.  Crunchy and cool--this dish is a winner.  If I'm short on time, I'll use the bags of pre-cut cabbage and carrots. I snapped this photo before the carrots were added, but they add great color and flavor!

For the dressing:
6 T rice vinegar
6 T sesame oil
5 T creamy peanut butter
3 T soy sauce
3 T packed golden brown sugar
2 T minced, peeled fresh ginger
1 1/2 T minced garlic

Whisk ingredients in small bowl to blend.  Dressing can be made 1 day ahead.  Cover and chill. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before continuing.

Salad:
5 c thinly sliced green cabbage
2 c thinly sliced red cabbage
2 large red or yellow bell peppers, cut into matchstick-size strips
2 medium carrots, peeled, cut into matchstick-size strips
8 large green onions, chopped
1/2 c fresh cilantro, chopped

Combine salad ingredients in a large bowl.  Add dressing and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper as needed, and serve.

photo by Joy Newman

No comments: