Wednesday, March 28, 2012

What's for Dinner?

Slow-Cooker Beef Ragu

photo by Joy Newman

I have a confession to make--I am not very adept at using my slow-cooker.  So, when I am brave enough to try a recipe and it tastes delicious, it's very exciting news!  We loved this dish and it's versatile, too--make pulled-beef sandwiches, serve over polenta or pasta, or toss it in a tortilla.  Somehow I missed the bit about cutting the roast in half so I didn't half mine and it cooked up just fine.  Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think.

Slow-Cooker Beef Ragu
Everyday Food, March 2012
Serves 6

1 medium yellow onion, diced small
3 garlic cloves, minced
6 T tomato paste
3 T chopped fresh oregano leaves (or 3 t dried)
1 beef chuck roast (4 lbs.), halved
salt and pepper
1 to 2 T red-wine vinegar

In a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker, combine onion, garlic, tomato paste and oregano. Season the roast with salt and pepper and place on top of onion mixture.  

Add 2 c water, cover and cook on high until meat is tender and can easily be pulled apart with a fork, 4 1/4 hours (or 9 hours on low). Let cool 10 minutes, then shred meat in slow cooker with 2 forks and stir in vinegar to taste.

No comments: