Wednesday, March 14, 2012

What's for Dinner?


Irish American Soda Bread

St. Patrick's Day is Saturday and as you can tell, I am a huge fan of St. Patrick's Day.  My maiden name was Bailey, so I like to claim some kinship with the day (even though our name is English in origin).  Maybe you were expecting a corned beef and cabbage recipe but truth be told, my husband usually makes the corned beef. Corned beef and I, we don't get along so well. But, I can make Irish Soda Bread. Not sure it really goes so well with the meal the way I make it, but it sure tastes good!  The recipe I use calls for raisins and caraway--I've never used those and instead substitute the dried Berry Medley from Trader Joe's. The result? A huge scone, that is delicious slathered with butter.  So, top of the morning to you, and wishing you the luck o' the Irish!

Irish American Soda Bread
Joy of Cooking and Joy
8 servings

1 2/3 c flour
2 T
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 c raisins (or other dried fruit)
2 t caraway seeds
1 large egg
2/3 c buttermilk
4 T warm, melted unsalted butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees, or 350 degrees if using a loaf pan.  Grease your loaf pan, or baking sheet.  Whisk together in large bowl the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Stir in raisins and caraway seeds.

In another bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk and melted butter. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until the ingredients are moistened.  The batter will be stiff but sticky.

Scrape the batter onto the baking sheet in a mound 6 to 7 inches in diameter or scrape into loaf pan.  Use a sharp knife to slash a large X about 1/2 inch deep on top of the batter.  Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes on baking sheet, 45 to 50 minutes in loaf pan.  Transfer bread to rack to cool before serving.


I just saw this recipe for Whiskey-Glazed Corned Beef. It looks delicious so I'm going to give a try on Saturday.

No comments: