Wednesday, February 22, 2012

What's for Dinner?

Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad



I saw this salad in the Thanksgiving issue of Bon Appetit and knew I had to try it.  I am so glad I did!  The flavors are fresh and unique in this salad. I promise you, serve this salad and you will be the belle of the ball.  It takes a lot of chopping, but it's worth it.  To save time, buy a bag of cut kale and remove the tough ribs and then chop. You can then chop it more finely, if you prefer or leave it as is.  Don't be afraid of the raw brussels sprouts--they taste like cabbage.


Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad
Bon Appetit, Nov. 2011
serves 8-10

1/4 c fresh lemon juice
2 T dijon mustard (I like the grainy kind)
1 T minced shallots
1 small garlic clove, finely grated
1/4 t salt
pepper
2 bunches of kale (Tuscan), thinly sliced
12 oz. brussels sprouts, trimmed and shredded
1/2 c olive oil
1/3 c almonds with the skins
1 c Pecorino cheese

1.  Combine the lemon juice, mustard, shallots, garlic, salt and pepper and set aside.  Mix the thinly sliced kale and brussels sprouts in a large bowl.

2.  Place 1 T oil in a skillet and heat over medium-high heat.  Add the almonds and toast for about 2 minutes until fragrant and brown. Sprinkle lightly with salt. 

3.  Slowly whisk the olive oil into the dressing mix. Add the dressing to the salad and season to taste.  Garnish with shredded cheese and chopped almonds.

3 comments:

Susie Theule said...

We've made this salad before and it is TASTY. Yesterday I threw in some avocado that needed to be used and it was even yummier. Don't be afraid of this super food salad!

Slocamom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa Boyd said...

WOW! This was AMAZING!!! I just made it for dinner and I think I'll have to make this a weekly salad...SO yummy, and I'm even more thrilled to finally have found a way that I really truly like brussel sprouts!
Thanks a million for sharing, Joy