Thursday, February 09, 2012

Unforgettable

We asked our teachers to tell us about a teacher in their own lives they would never forget.  Today, Denise Indvik, who teaches our Track B Jr. Kindergarten shares memories of her favorite teacher.


I was just thinking about my favorite teacher last week and wondering what had become of her.  I was almost tempted to have someone try to find her on Facebook for me so I could tell her how much I appreciate her!  Her name was Mrs. Deborah Cope, and she was my fourth grade teacher way back in the late 1970s.  The reason she stands out from other teachers I enjoyed during my schooling was her unwavering celebration of good literature and reading.  I have no memory of reading anthologies, abridged stories, or language arts textbooks in her class.  Instead, I remember signing up for a "literature conference" on the chalkboard, which meant that when it was my turn I would sit next to her at her desk and spend a good long while telling her all about the latest book I had finished reading.  She would thumb through the book, and ask me sincere questions about the characters and their adventures.  The pleasure of reading a great book was truly celebrated in her approach to teaching, and I would delight in the chance to tell her that my number one goal as a homeschooling mom and teacher was to convey that love of books to my own children and students.  Thank you Mrs. Cope! 


Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of becoming.  ~ Goethe


No comments: