Wednesday, November 09, 2011

What's for Dinner?

Progress Reports are due this week--are yours almost done?  Sometimes I feel my menu planning is in a rut. I get easily bored with our usual fare so if I feel the need to spice it up, I'll look for flavors we don't typically eat.  I rarely cook with oriental flavors so it feels fresh when I do. Once I saw this recipe for Vegetable Bibambap in Everyday Food, I knew we had to try it--if for no other reason than that I am Korean. I was unsure about the yolky-egg on top, but it was delicious!  Give it a try and let me know your thoughts.



Vegetable Bibimbap
Everyday Food Sep. 2011, serves 4

  • 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
  • 5 ounces baby spinach (5 cups)
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons vegetable oil
  • 3 carrots, cut into thin matchsticks
  • 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
  • 4 scallions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced
  • 3/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, trimmed, thinly sliced
  • 1 English cucumber, cut into thin matchsticks
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 4 large eggs
  • 4 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
  • Sriracha sauce, for serving


  1. In a medium pot or a rice cooker, cook the rice according to package instructions.  In a large nonstick skillet, boil 2 cups of water. Add spinach and cook, stirring constantly until wilted, about 30 seconds; drain. When cool enough to handle, squeeze dry with a paper towel.
  2. Wipe out skillet and heat 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil over med-high heat.  Add carrots and cook until crisp-tender, 3 minutes. Add garlic and scallion whites and cook until fragrant.  Add mushrooms, cook 4 minutes. Add cucumber and cook until softened, 3 minutes.  Add spinach and soy sauce and stir to combine.  Transfer veggies to a bowl and wipe out skillet.
  3. Heat 3/4 t oil in skillet over med-high.  Fry 4 eggs until whites are set but yolk is still runny. Divide the rice among bowls, top with the vegetables and an egg. Drizzle with sesame oil, sprinkle with scallions greens, and serve with Sriracha.

No comments: