Wednesday, August 24, 2011

What's for Dinner Wednesday

Hello! I’m Joy Newman and I contributed recipes to our previous publication “Let’s Eat.”  Instead of a paper publication, Wednesdays blog posts will feature a weekly recipe or food related post.  

For those who are new to our community, welcome! We’re so glad you’re here.  A few notes about the recipes.  I like to abbreviate teaspoons as “t” and tablespoons as “T.”  When I reference olive oil, I always mean extra virgin olive oil; salt refers to kosher or coarse salt; and pepper means freshly ground pepper.  If I mention Parmesan cheese, it’s usually freshly grated as well.  I point these things out, not to make you buy things you don’t normally buy, but for clarification. Table salt is a different kind of salty than kosher salt so you may have to play with the listed amounts. 

I love to cook and I realize not everyone shares this passion.  Since I love being in the kitchen, a recipe that seems quick and easy to me, may not be for you.  Please feel free to pass along quick, nutritious, delicious meals from your own recipe book. I love trying new things!  I have a deep respect for dinner-time and the power of food in bringing people together.  Let’s journey together this year as we seek to encourage each other in this necessary element of our lives while we provide sustenance for our families.  Bon appétit!

Who doesn't love pasta? Add some fresh heirloom tomatoes and it's even better.  This fresh, summery pasta is sure to please everyone and is easy to make.  If you don't have a garden, check out a farmer's market for fresh tomatoes.

photo by Joy Newman


Pasta with Marinated Tomatoes
Adapted from
Martha Stewart Living, August 2011

5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/2 c extra virgin olive oil
2 lbs. heirloom tomatoes, sliced into 1/2-inch wedges or coarsely chopped
3/4 fresh basil, torn or chopped
3 T capers, rinsed and roughly chopped
2 t finely grated lemon zest
1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes, optional
salt and pepper
1 lb. pasts such as pappardelle or fettucine

1.  Heat garlic in oil in a saucepan over low heat until pale gold, about 10 minutes.  Strain; reserve oil and garlic. Let cool.
2.  Combine tomatoes, 1/4 c basil, capers, lemon zest, red-pepper flakes, and 1/2 t salt in a large bowl.  Pour garlic oil and garlic over tomato mixture. Marinate, covered, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.
3. Cook the pasta (al dente is recommended, of course); reserve some of the salted pasta water.  Add the warm pasta to the bowl of tomatoes and toss gently.  If pasta seems dry, add the reserved pasta water.  Top with remaining basil; season with salt and pepper if needed.  Add freshly grated Parmesan cheese and enjoy.


posted by Joy Newman

2 comments:

blue corduroy said...

I need help, Joy. I need help with school lunch ideas. Maybe one of these Wednesday posts, you could give me some?

p.s. i LOVE the new blog!

Mary said...

Yum! This recipe sounds delish! I think I'm going to make it tonight! Thanks for sharing!